Madison Motor Werks strives to be conscious of our impact on the environment and feel the need to do our part to protect the planet and our community. As an auto repair & service shop, it is inevitable the amount of trash that is accumulated every week when maintaining our customers’ vehicles. We have become aware of our day to day habits and have incorporated more green practices, making our shop an environmentally friendly place that is beneficial to customers, employees, and our earth.
Here is how we are helping our environment:SYNTHETIC MOTOR OILS
We use High Performance synthetic motor oils, such as Mobil 1, which is designed to provide exceptional protection over extended drain intervals. Because this kind of oil is capable of delivering proven performance and engine protection over longer periods of time when compared to conventional oils, using a high performance synthetic oil, such as Mobil 1, can actually help drivers EXTEND their time between oil drain intervals and thus, reduce overall used oil waste.
SOAPS / CLEANERS
- SOAPS: We clean up with a special product called, Mean Green soap. It is a blend of non-toxic, biodegradable detergents. It is E.P.A. & U.S.D.A. approved. It is made up of an environmentally safe formula that only requires just a little amount to do the clean-up. Therefore, one bucket lasts longer & reduces container waste.
- CLEANERS: For cleaning up everyday spills, our shop uses eco-friendly New Pig mats that absorbs any spills, leaks, or drips that land on our shop floor, decreasing the chances of auto fluids & oil soaking into the ground and polluting the earth. Each mat is 50% recycled polypropylene and reduces environmental impact. It is reusable & can be incinerated to reduce waste. We also use New Pig Lite-Dri for absorbing motor oil & auto fluids that fall on our floors. It is 100% recycled cellulose composition. The hydrophobic material repels water while absorbing only oil-based liquids & can also be used in pour-through filter applications to reduce hydrocarbon content. It is non-toxic, silica-free & safe to use without health hazards. It can be incinerated after use to reduce waste or for fuels blending.
ENERGY EFFICIENT SHOP LIGHTING
Our facility uses high-end energy efficient fluorescent bulbs. These kind of bulbs do not produce as much heat (which is not light) as an incandescent bulb does and wastes energy. We also use natural light to illuminate our work area as well.
USED AUTO MATERIALS
- TIRES: We dispose of old tires by bringing them to local tire shops where they are then recycled instead of being thrown into landfills.
- CAR BATTERIES: When our customers purchase new batteries through us, we turn in the old one to our carrier for them to recycle properly.
- MOTOR OIL: We dispose of used motor oil by collecting it in a container & send it to a local business who then recycles it properly.
- PLASTIC CONTAINERS / METALS / CARDBOARD: All plastic, metal, & cardboard materials from old car parts, oil containers, & shipping boxes are brought to recycling centers so that they are not thrown away and sent to a landfill.